You are invited to this half-day festival on February 27, 2018. The Change for Climate, Festival of Youth Voices will showcase the climate change stories, ideas, experiences, images and recommendations of students from Alberta and around the world.
NAIT: Main foyer in Centre for Applied Technology - 11762 106 Street NW, Edmonton, AB
Time: 10:00am to 2:15pm (public); 9:30am to 3:15pm (schools that are part of the Fair)
Who should attend?
- The general public
- High school students/teachers and post-secondary students/instructors
- Those working in climate change, energy, sustainability
- Education leaders (trustees, administrators, etc.)
- Be inspired by Alberta students and students from 12 other countries as they outline the challenges and recommendations to reform education and for taking action on climate change
- View student-created videos
- Discover what is being done here in Edmonton, Alberta and Canada to take action on climate change from invited guests: Hon. Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks, Hon. David Eggen, Minister of Education, Mayor of Edmonton and Councillors, Members of Parliament
Timing for event:
- 10:00 to 11:00am, 11:30am to 12:15pm, 1:15 to 1:45pm – student fair - Alberta students' posters outlining recommendations for taking action on climate change, their rationale and evidence - visit the poster displays and show your support for their great ideas by indicating your top 3
- 11:00 to 11:30am – welcome from NAIT and ACEE - video/film presentations
- 12:15 – 1:15pm – main presentations – guests (12:15 to 12:35pm) and students from Alberta and around the world (12:35 to 1:15pm) showcasing their images and voices of climate change, PechaKucha style
- 1:45 to 2:15pm – guest panel responding to what they heard and how the work of these students will help Edmonton and Alberta deal with climate change - top 3 student recommendations announced
- 2:30 - 3:15pm - school groups only - workshop - learning/engagement with community/expert resources
Student Fair of Recommendations for Taking Action on Climate Change
Junior and senior high students (Edmonton area) this is your chance to share your voice and provide recommendations on what can be done in your schools, communities or in your own town/city to take action on climate change. To be part of the Student Fair you would need to answer the following questions:
- What is your recommendation for taking action on climate change in your school/community or city?
- How will it help reduce greenhouse gas emissions or the impacts of climate change?
DREAM BIG - this doesn't have to be something you'll implement but something you'd recommend - if you could make a suggestion to decision-makers, what would it be?
How to become part of the Student Fair
- Groups (with teacher support) are asked to apply by January 25th, 2018.
- The recommendation and rationale can be created by small groups of students (only 3 will be able to showcase the recommendation during the student fair).
- To apply you will need to provide details regarding the school, teacher and students; describe your recommendation; identify the topic for your recommendation, describe how you will develop your rationale and gather evidence to support your recommendation; and indicate that a group of students (max. of 3) and a teacher can attend on February 27th (teacher release provided, if needed).
- Selection criteria for the school groups will be based on a number of factors (e.g. teacher must be able to attend with students on Feb. 27th, strength of recommendation and merit, representation from a diverse cross-section of schools in the Edmonton region).
- Groups will be notified by January 29th and must confirm participation by February 5th.
- As part of the fair, you will create two posters - one stating your recommendation (with images) and one with the research/rationale/evidence showing the merit of how it reduces greenhouse gas emissions or the impacts of climate change.
- Senior high teachers are welcome to bring classes to the event (not dependent on being selected to be part of the student fair).
School groups APPLY NOW! Deadline January 25th, 2018.
For more information or questions, contact kathy[at]abcee.org
Festival of Youth Voices is part of the Change for Climate Community Series, inspired by the Cities and Climate Change Science Conference taking place in Edmonton March 5-7, 2018.