The Change for Climate, Festival of Youth Voices showcased the climate change stories, ideas, experiences, images and recommendations of students from Alberta and around the world on February 27, 2018 at NAIT.
Hon. Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment; Alberta Council for Environmental Education; Centre for Global Education and students from Brazil, China, Colombia, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Slovenia and Canada (Calgary and Edmonton).
Students from Alberta and around the world came together and...
- Shared their climate change stories and recommendations with fellow students, Edmontonian's, decision-makers and leaders - Hon. Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment & Parks; Councillor Michael Walters, City of Edmonton; Dr. Glenn Feltham, NAIT President; David Dodge, Chair of Energy Efficiency Alberta; John Rilett, ENMAX and students from 12 countries with the Centre for Global Education
- Learned about the importance of films in taking action on climate change with film makers Colin Waugh & Jordan Bloemen from Sticks & Stones and Katie Cutting from Lazy Kittens Productions and viewed the following films:
- Heard from panelists on "How youth help us move forward in creating change for climate" - Hon. Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment & Parks; Jim Sandercock, Chair, Alternative Energy Technologies, NAIT; and Steve Lee, Executive Director, Foundation of Environmental Stewardship
Stories from the day and the work of students preparing for their presentation to the Cities and Climate Change Conference ...
- City of Edmonton's blog post with student interviews
- CTV News coverage of the students work in preparation for their presentation to the Cities and Climate Change Science Conference
A BIG thanks to the Edmonton and Calgary schools that showcased their recommendations:
- Jasper Place High School, Edmonton - Transition to renewable energy - selected as the top showcase
- Aurora Academic Charter School, Edmonton - Power-up Learning for energy conservation and alternative energy
- Centennial High School, Calgary - A Living Wall to reduce water and energy use and grow food
- Career and Technology Centre, Calgary - Collaborative urban/local gardens to reduce emissions for transporting food
- Aurora Academic Charter School - Exploring electric cars - advantages and disadvantages
- Westwood Community High School, Fort McMurray - Innovative ways to reduce plastic waste and create 3D print filament to build a wind turbine
- Aurora Academic Charter School - Understanding emissions and their impacts (from acid rain to CO2)
- Aurora Academic Charter School - Exploring new ways of recycling
- 10:00 to 11:00am, 11:30am to 12:00pm, 1:15 to 1:45pm – Student Fair
- 11:00 to 11:30am – Films/video showcase with film maker Colin Waugh
- 12:00 to 1:15pm – Main Presentations
- Guests (12:00 to 12:25pm) - Hon. Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks; City of Edmonton Councillor Michael Walters; NAIT President Dr. Glenn Feltham; Chair of Energy Efficiency Alberta, David Dodge.
- Students (12:25 to 1:15) - from Alberta and around the world (Calgary, Edmonton, China, India, Kenya, Ghana, Columbia, Peru, Mexico, Slovenia, United States and more)
- 1:45 to 2:15pm – Guest panel - Hon. Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks; Jim Sandercock, Chair, Alternative Energy Technologies, NAIT; Steve Lee, Executive Director, Foundation for Environmental Stewardship; and top three student recommendations announced by the Alberta Emerald Foundation
- 2:30 to 3:15pm - Student Fair school groups only - workshop - learning/engagement with Inside Education and NAIT
For more information or questions, contact kathy[at]abcee.org
Festival of Youth Voices is part of the Change for Climate Community Series, inspired by the Cities and Climate Change Science Conference taking place in Edmonton March 5-7, 2018.