Thank you to everyone who attended Education on Planet Earth October 7, 2016 in Calgary at Lord Shaughnessy High School. We had over 110 delegates, 27 workshops and two inspiring keynote sessions.
Ashly, a student teacher from Mount Royal University volunteered to take photos at the conference, she captured the spirit of the conference, see all the photos here.
Many of the presenters have shared their resources and presentations, see the list below. If you would like to connect with any of the presenters, please contact Christina at firstname.lastname@example.org and she can pass along contact information.
Below is the full program if you need a reminder of the great day!
We are working with Edmonton Public School Board to bring you another conference February 6, 2017. Registration and a call for proposals are now up. See the details here.
Conference Survey Results
Thanks to everyone who filled out the survey, here are a few highlights:
- 94% of respondents rated the conference as Excellent/Very Good
- 91% of respondents rated Education Minister David Eggen's presentation as Excellent/Very Good
- 97% of respondents are Very Likely/Likely to attend next year
A couple of comments from participants...
Learning about successful environmental education techniques from students and teachers was inspiring. The conference provides a much needed spotlight for environmental education in Alberta.
Every time I go to one of these conferences I make contacts that inspire me to be more creative in my work by giving me their stories and tools to engage the youth in meaningful topics.
The Education on Planet Earth Conference, hosted by ACEE, only strengthen my resolve to provide education opportunities for students focused on climate change and biodiversity.
P.E.E.L. Project (Westmount Charter School Keynote)
- See the video and learn more here: http://www.abcee.org/people-energy-and-environmental-literacy
Elements Society (Taking on a School Wide Project for Big Impact and Energy Conservation at School)
- dcplanet.ca Destination Conservation website
- Climate Change Red Rover activity
- Contact Laura Bamsey if you want to learn more about their programs and to access their log in area for more activities.
Caring for Our Watersheds
Green Calgary (Worms Love Leftovers)
- Learn about the school programs offered by Green Calgary here: www.greencalgary.org/green-kids/
- Energy Revolution Fair will take place June 8, 2017. Registration for schools opens November 15. Learn more here: http://www.greencalgary.org/generation-green/energy-revolution-fair/
Palisades Centre (Connect! Quick Outdoor Activities and Resources)
- Did you know that Parks Canada provides unique, outdoor educational opportunities for students in grades 7-12? The Palisades Centre is set in Jasper National Park and surrounded by the awe-inspiring Rocky Mountains. Our strength is experiential education, blending mountain recreation with environmental stewardship. Junior high and high school students are immersed in nature during multi-day programs that are curricular linked, engaging and foster a sense of cultural and environmental stewardship. The centre and the programs are highlighted in this document.
Contact the centre's Education Lead - Barb Schmidt email@example.com
www.thepalisadescentre.ca or http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/edu/edu5.aspx
- Program information in french.
Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (BearFaced Biology)
- Learn more about their school programs here: http://cpaws-southernalberta.org/campaigns/education
- Download resources here: http://cpaws-southernalberta.org/campaigns/resources-for-environmental-education
- Grizzly Bears Forever Grade 7-9 Guide
- Grizzly Bears Forever Grade 10-12 Guide
Weaslehead/Glenmore Park Preservation Society (Taking it Outside: Wetland Wonders)
- Learn more about their indoor programs: http://theweaselhead.com/indoor-programs/
- Learn more about their outdoor, field programs: http://theweaselhead.com/education/outdoorprograms/
Lynn Moore, Cochrane High School (Inquiry into Sustainable Environments and 'I see the big picture now')
- If you have any questions for Lynn, she can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- View a video and short summary of Lynn's work here.
Puzzle Permaculture (No more excuses, just plant some stuff!)
- Chelsie's website: http://chelsies.ca/
- Puzzle Permacultre website: http://www.puzzlepermaculture.com/
Alberta Parks (How Video Conferencing can Connect Students to Nature)
- Learn more about the video conferencing programs offered here: http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/education-interpretation/school-programs/educational-videoconferencing/
- Learn more about all the different programs offered by Alberta Parks here: http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/education-interpretation/
Lindsey Kindrat (Green School Connections)
- Download the presentation
- Lindsey's website: www.3pointenvironmental.com
- Contact information: Lindsay Kindrat, Sustainable Building Specialist email@example.com
Gareth Thomson and Adam Robb (Supporting Student Exploration and Action Around Climate Change)
- Wolly Thinking Activity is found in this activity guide - Inventing the Future.
Thank you to our sponsors: