The Alberta Council for Environmental Education (ACEE) works collaboratively to advance environmental education in Alberta - because educating today’s youth to be tomorrow’s environmental stewards is our best strategy to create a sustainable future. Founded in 2005, our work is guided by the following:
Vision: Alberta is a leader in environmental education, with citizens that are informed and motivated to live more sustainably, be responsible stewards of the environment, and help ensure future generations’ quality of life.
Mission: To work collaboratively to advance environmental education in Alberta.
By collaborating with teachers, agencies, parents, and students, ACEE helps youth become aware of the environment, gain an understanding of it, consider environmental issues, and act to create a sustainable future. Children need to fall in love with the planet before they can be asked to take care of it. And when youth are empowered to help the planet, they are hopeful.
Thanks to ACEE for over a decade of support and leadership! The work of ACEE has been incredibly valuable to help us collaborate, learn from each other, and to advance environmental education." Judy Archer, former Manager of Community Education, Calgary Zoo
ACEE works at many levels to move environmental education from the margins to mainstream education:
- Bringing environmental education into the mainstream
- Harnessing youth voice to guide decision makers
- Increasing students’ environmental literacy
- Building strong networks of collaborative stakeholders
ACEE works in collaboration using systems thinking:
- championing environmental education through our work with education leaders and policy makers.
- convening key stakeholders for strategic conversations and synergies.
- building leaders by igniting and coordinating leadership
- connecting the community through networks that support sharing and collaboration
- developing partnerships and programs to build teacher and agency capacity
These core values guide ACEE as it works to accomplish its vision and mission. ACEE will be…
- Strategic. ACEE will consult and engage practitioners in activities that support and complement efforts of other environmental education organizations in Alberta, and will develop strategic initiatives based on the community’s needs.
- Transparent. ACEE will be transparent and inclusive in its dealings with the EE community, making relevant policies, budgets, and other documents available to all.
- Inclusive. ACEE’s activities will be inclusive of all stakeholders and includes formal, non-formal, and informal education. ACEE board members will have a wide range of relevant competencies, and will be drawn from a diversity of groups within the environmental education community.
- Respectful. ACEE will work in a collegial manner to add value to the efforts of the environmental education community. ACEE will NOT duplicate, compete with, or attempt to represent others in the community.