We have created a movement of passionate individuals – from sectors that include health care, environmental education, play, sport, recreation and parks, child care, and early childhood development – who will work collaboratively towards the following vision:
All young children, 0-5 years old and their families in Alberta have the opportunity for active outdoor nature play that is safe, positive and engaging. Active outdoor nature play in the early years:
- Builds a foundation of nature connection that develops life long environmental literacy and stewardship
- Sparks natural curiosity, exploration and learning.
- Connects young children and their families with their communities, contributing to family resilience and social connections.
- Improves physical literacy and general health outcomes
Get Outside and Play Early Childhood Network focuses on:
- Early Learning and Care. Children in early learning and care settings have engaging outdoor spaces that encourage nature connection and outdoor play. Educators are trained and confident, able to facilitate and support children in their learning outdoors.
- Families and Communities. Nature connection and outdoor play are widely celebrated and valued in Alberta. Children and families spend more time connecting with nature and participating in outdoor play because engaging spaces and supportive programs are in place.
Every year we refine our work and update our Theory of Change. Download the latest version here. It is only one page and gives a big picture idea of what we think the network can do. It is an evolving document, and we'd love to hear your feedback.
Members of the Initiative
There is no membership fee or commitment, anyone is welcome to sign up for out to the network! Almost 900 people have engaged in the network with more joining all the time. Interested in learning more, sign up for our newsletter and receive information about upcoming events and opportunities or contact Christina.
In the fall of 2016, we conducted a member survey to seek feedback on the direction of the network and ideas for professional learning. See the summary of the results here.
Sponsor and Funders
This program has been supported by the following organizations through in-kind product donations and financial contributions. Thank you to all our funders and sponsors for making this program possible. If you are interested in making a donation on an individual level, click here. If you are able to support this program from a sponsorship or granting program, please contact Christina at email@example.com or 403-998-4782.
In the news
Click the headings below to see a brief summary of activities
If you have any questions, please contact Christina Pickles at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-998-4782.