Program Manager - Edmonton EcoSchools
Are you passionate and enthusiastic about environmental education and working with school boards and municipalities? Are you excited in helping teachers engage in real world, community-based climate action and environmental stewardship? If the answer is yes, we invite you to apply for this exciting new position in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.
Reporting to the Senior Education Advisor, the Alberta Council for Environmental Education is seeking an enthusiastic, collaborative, independent, and highly motivated individual for the position of Program Manager - Edmonton EcoSchools. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with local school districts and municipalities to launch the EcoSchools environmental certification program in the greater Edmonton area following a successful implementation model developed for Calgary in 2020-21.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify links between the EcoSchools framework, the grade 10-12 curriculum, and municipal climate and environmental strategies in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.
- Create and oversee a multi-stakeholder advisory committee composed of representatives from local municipalities and school districts to provide guidance on all program activities and help adapt program elements to the local context.
- Coordinate and chair advisory committee meetings.
- Organize communications and outreach activities to school administrators and teachers to recruit schools to the EcoSchools program.
- Provide ongoing support to participating teachers to help them create eco-plans, access resources to help carry out action projects with students and track their progress on EcoSchools’ on-line platform.
- Work with organizations that oversee teacher professional learning and environmental education partners to organize and deliver professional learning opportunities for teachers to increase their capacity to infuse age-appropriate environmental and climate education across the curriculum and engage students in environmental and climate action projects using the EcoSchools framework.
- Create opportunities for teachers to network, share, and learn from each other.
- Collaborate and work with the environmental education community to link local supports to the EcoSchools framework, connecting teachers to experts, resources and programs that will help them complete environmental and climate action projects with their students as they work toward certification.
- Engage and work with ACEE’s student leadership group Alberta Youth Leaders for Environmental Education, to bring their voice to the table in meetings with education leaders and engage them in mentoring students from participating EcoSchools as they complete environmental and climate action projects.
- Liaise with and bring in Indigenous education advisors and EcoSchools Canada staff to infuse Indigenous perspectives throughout all elements of the program.
Coordinate with municipalities and school districts to organize a year-end celebration event to recognize school accomplishments and award certifications.
- University degree in education and/or environmental science.
- Minimum of three to five years’ experience in climate or environmental education, or related experience.
- Demonstrated passion for the environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Can-do attitude and ability to initiate, nurture and grow relationships with external stakeholders.
- Exemplary communication skills, both oral and written, and ability to make presentations to a variety of audiences, including teachers and school administrators.
Demonstrated project management skills.
Proficiency in French will be considered an asset.
Conditions of Work:
This is a full-time (37.5 hours/week) salaried position with benefits located in a home-based office in the Edmonton area. The initial term is for one year with the possibility of extension, subject to funding availability.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and salary expectations to Marie Tremblay at email@example.com by June 18, 2021. Please state “Program Manager - Edmonton EcoSchools” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
ACEE is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of ACEE to assure equal opportunities for employees and applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, gender, physical or mental handicap, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
About the Alberta Council for Environmental Education (ACEE):
ACEE is an award winning, trusted charity that works collaboratively to advance environment, energy and climate change education in Alberta. At ACEE we believe educating today's youth to be tomorrow's stewards is our best strategy to create a sustainable future. Visit www.abcee.org for more information about our organization.