Are you interested in applying your communications skills to helping create a more sustainable future? The Alberta Council for Environmental Education is seeking a contract-based Communications Specialist to help advance our work supporting teachers in integrating more environmental education into their teaching practice. In particular, this position will seek to promote, raise awareness, and ensure regular and effective communications with key stakeholders in relation to our Calgary EcoSchools and teacher professional development initiatives. We are looking for someone to help create communication messages and approaches to help accelerate the uptake of our Ecoschools program, as well as the uptake and acceptance of climate education in schools in Calgary and other regions of Alberta. This position will also need to connect with our other program areas to ensure our communication efforts are coordinated and consistent.
Key communications elements we are seeking assistance with include:
- Website presence
- Social media postings (mainly Facebook and Twitter)
- Email communications to teachers and other stakeholders using CiviCRM
- Visuals and graphics for Powerpoint presentations
- Photos and short videos of school-based initiatives
- Virtual session facilitation
- A post-secondary certificate, diploma, major, or degree in communications
- Experience working in communications, particularly in a digital environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work as part of a team
- Strong communication skills, particularly via digital platforms
- Highly organized and adept at time management and task prioritization
- Proficiency in digital platforms including Drupal, Facebook, Twitter, CiviCRM
- Ability to produce short videos using mp4 files created by others
- Background in, and/or demonstrated passion for, environmental sustainability will be considered an asset
- This position is subsidized through the Canada Summer Jobs program. As such, applicants must be aged between 15 and 30 years of age.
- The contract is for a total of 240 hours to be worked between December 1, 2020 and February 28, 2021
- A specific schedule will be determined in consultation with the successful candidate. Some possibilities include: 8 weeks @ 30 hours/week or 12 weeks at 20 hours/week.
- Possibility of additional hours subject to funding availability.
- Flexible - this is a home-based employment opportunity.
- Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three samples of your work, preferably showcasing different formats or platforms, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application deadline is midnight November 18, 2020.