Alberta Green Schools helps school divisions and schools develop a school-wide culture of energy literacy and environmental stewardship, through environmental and energy education and strategic planning. ACEE started this work in 2013/14 with a pilot with Rocky View Schools. In March 2016, we expanded the program to six other school divisions thanks to support from Shell and ConocoPhillips Canada.
What we accomplished last year…
- 12 full-day sessions delivered to seven school divisions across Alberta
- Over 65 schools creating a school-wide culture of environmental, energy and climate change literacy
- 125 teachers supported through full-day learning and planning sessions, building environmental leadership and community
- Over 4100 students engaged in actions to enjoy, conserve, protect and steward their local environment
- 30 community organizations connected to support the schools
- Improving school’s environmental performance through their many initiatives such as waste reduction, growing local food, land use planning, water conservation and energy conservation.
We've partnered with these school divisions - find out what they're doing!
- Chinook's Edge School Division
- Elk Island Public Schools
- Fort McMurray Public Schools
- Fort McMurray Catholic Schools - TBA
- Grande Yellowhead School Division
- Pincher Creek region
- Rocky View Schools
For more information, contact Kathy Worobec.
January 19, 2017 - The Edmonton Journal showcases Strathcona Christian Academy Secondary's Aquaponics program with teacher Mr. Cheung after their 'Gallery of Gardens' showcase.
The Alberta Teachers' Association summer series showcases Alberta Green Schools.
Shooting the Breeze - Pincher Creek and area, weekly news - December 14th article - page 3
Watch the short video about ACEE's work and Alberta Green Schools (click on the image below to watch) - about 5 minutes!
Our offer to School Divisions
We will work with teachers and administrators from your school division, offering professional learning and planning sessions that help schools transform their school culture to include environmental stewardship and energy literacy across all grades and subjects. We co-design the professional learning and planning with you to meet the needs and timing of individual school divisions.
Collaboration with SEEDS Connections Green Schools
ACEE and SEEDS Connections work together to provide additional resources and supports to Alberta Green Schools. SEEDS Green Schools provides recognition for schools including banners to help schools celebrate their achievements. Register to become a SEEDS Green School.