Alberta Youth Leaders for Environmental and Energy Education (AYLEEE) is a student group from grades 7-12 across rural and urban Alberta that demonstrate leadership in environmental and energy education in their schools and communities. ACEE and the Centre for Global Education are supporting the students in their environmental education projects and providing them with opportunities to have their voices heard in Alberta.
Outcomes of AYLEEE:
- Students emerge from the program knowledgeable on the Alberta education system and as trained advocates who can “speak truth to power” - and are hopeful about the future, because they know they’ve made a difference.
- Decision makers across Alberta will have heard, and given consideration to, student arguments in support of increased environmental and energy education in the province.
In the 2019-2020 school year, participating students will:
- Understand the meaning of, and the power of, advocacy. They will learn firsthand the impact of advocacy and the potential for citizen voices in provincial decision making.
- Develop public speaking skills, be given a platform to share their voice and ideas, and build confidence to take further environmental actions.
- Attend and present at events such as ACEE's April 2020 conference, plus meetings with education decision-makers.
- Engage in bi-weekly Tuesday meetings (both online and face to face) to increase their knowledge in the following areas.
- Climate mitigation through small-scale projects
- The existing education system and how decisions are made
- How they can use their interest in climate mitigation and their knowledge of the education system to create change in Alberta education
Youth leadership in the 2019-2020 school year
This year, AYLEEE participants will show leadership by sharing their call for more environmental, energy and climate change education through...
- Meeting with the Alberta Minister of Education in early March
- Hosting a workshop and presenting at the ACEE Recharge Conference in April
- Updating the 2016 “Supporting Climate Leadership in Alberta Schools: Recommendations by Students for Alberta's Educational Leaders" report in Calgary on February 22
Youth leadership in previous years
AYLEEE participants have recently shown leadership by sharing their call for more environmental, energy and climate change education by presenting at..
- The IPCC Cities and Climate Change Conference
- Alberta Ecotrust's Environmental Gathering
- Alberta's Energy Efficiency Panel
- The Alberta Thought Leaders Forum
And by creating the following videos...
- "I want to learn about..." campaign
- Dialogue Guide
- "What do students think about climate change? video
Want to hear from these students? Interested in joining AYLEEE?
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Thank you to our program sponsors, Alberta Beverage Container Recycling Corporation, The Calgary Foundation and Shaw Birdies for Kids presented by AltaLink, for helping the Alberta Climate Leadership Youth Network take the next steps towards climate leadership.