There are a variety of conferences and events that can help with building capacity regarding environmental education or provide opportunities for you to reach an audience for your environmental education programs. The conferences listed may be conferences that you wish to attend and some may be conferences that you may wish to offer a presentation/workshop or display.
Listed below are a variety of conferences and events and some tips on submitting convention/conference proposals.
- Alberta Teachers’ Association (ATA) Teachers’ Conventions
- ATA Specialist Council Conferences
- Dr. Noel’s Top 10 Tips for Submitting Convention Proposals
- Canadian Network for Environmental Education & Communications (EECOM) conference
- North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) conference
- Community Workshops
The Alberta Teachers’ Association hosts annual events devoted to the professional development of teachers. These are great venues for sharing your environmental education resources and programs. These events are organized regionally and take place in February and March of each year. To present at conventions, you apply directly through the convention committee. Applications start being accepted in the spring of each year. The list below provides information regarding upcoming Teachers’ Conventions for 2020. Most conventions begin accepting applications in May and deadlines are usually June through October. We recommend you submit your applications as soon as possible.
- North Central - Upcoming conference February 6-7, 2020 in Edmonton. Now accepting proposal applications.
- Calgary City - Upcoming conference February 13 - 14, 2020 in Calgary. Now accepting proposal applications - deadline September 16, 2019.
- Endless Skies - Upcoming conference February 13-14, 2020 in Edmonton. Now accepting proposal applications - deadline October 7, 2019.
- Central Alberta - Upcoming conference February 20-21, 2020 in Red Deer. Now accepting proposal applications - deadline December 1,2019.
- Palliser District - Upcoming conference February 20-21, 2020 in Calgary. Not accepting proposal applications.
- Southeastern Alberta - Upcoming conference February 20-21, 2020 in Medicine Hat. Now accepting proposal applications.
- South Western - Upcoming conference February 20-21, 2020 in Lethbridge. Now accepting proposal applications.
- Greater Edmonton - Upcoming conference February 27-28, 2020 in Edmonton. Now accepting proposal applications.
- Mighty Peace - Upcoming conference March 5-6, 2020 in Grande Prairie. Now accepting proposal applications.
ATA Specialist Council Conferences
The ATA Specialist Councils focus on different aspects of teaching. See the website for full listing of all the specialists councils. If you want to present at the conferences, contact the Program Chairs seven or eight months before the conference. Here are some of the councils that apply directly to environmental education.
- Social Studies Council - Upcoming conference October 18-19, 2019, Airdrie
- Science Council - Upcoming conference November 1-2, 2019, Canmore
- Career & Technology Education Council - Upcoming conference November 21-23, 2019, Edmonton
- Global, Environment & Outdoor Education Council - No upcoming conferences, but they offer a variety of PD sessions
- Health & Physical Education Council - No upcoming conferences
EECOM is Canada’s only national, bilingual, charitable network for environmental learning. EECOM works strategically and collaboratively to advance environmental learning to ensure Canadians are environmentally literate, engaged in environmental stewardship and contributing to a healthy, sustainable future. EECOM hosts an annual conference.
The NAAEE advances environmental education and supports environmental educators in Canada, the United States, and Mexico. NAAEE hosts an annual conference.
Here is a list of organizations that offer professional learning workshops or webinars in Alberta for teachers or environmental educators. If you have an environmental, energy or wellness professional learning opportunity to share, contact Kathy Worobec so we can add it to the list.
- Alberta Environment and Parks - Kananaskis Country
- Alberta Environment and Parks - Fish Creek
- Alberta Teachers' Association - Global, Environment and Outdoor Education Council
- Alberta Science Network - science workshops lead by teacher/scientist teams. Available in Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Lethbridge, and Medicine Hat.
- CAWST - Workshops at Teachers' Convention: North Central, Calgary City, Central Alberta, and Mighty Peace
- CPAWS Southern Alberta Chapter
- Green Teacher - Professional Development webinars
- Outdoors In - Early Childhood Educator Workshop
- PEEL Education - Calgary