Alberta Education Current Curriculum Alignment
The current curriculum that has many opportunities for including environment, energy or climate change connections. Below are two curriculum alignments - one for environment and one for energy and climate change.
- Alberta Education curriculum alignment for environmental topics
- Alberta Education curriculum alignment for energy and climate change topics
Alberta Education Competencies and Current K - 9 Curriculum at a Glance
Environmental education provides countless avenues for skill development in the 8 competencies outlined by Alberta Education as students tackle and resolve real-world problems through action. To learn more about indicators and examples of Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Managing Information, Creativity and Innovation, Communication, Collaboration, Global and Cultural Citizenship, and Personal Growth and Well-being, please see below.
Energy and environmental education is not limited to science. It should be integrated within a variety of subject areas to maximize student engagement. To see a map of the current Alberta curriculum for Kindergarten to Grade 9, please see below,
*NEW* The new Alberta curriculum is in its draft stages. To read the draft K-4 curriculum in a variety of subject areas, please see the released documents below:
- July 19/18 Draft K-4 Science, Social Studies, Math, Wellness, English Language Arts, French Language Arts, and Arts Curriculum
Career and Technology Foundations Challenge Exemplars
Career and Technology Foundations and Career and Technology Studies also provide excellent student challenges. Alberta Education has released a number of CTF Challenge Exemplars in various depths and levels. Many have an environmental focus so check out the following:
- Catching the Rays - Grades 5 & 8 - design and construct a solar-powered tool that uses the sun as an energy source
- Water for Life - Grades 5 & 8 - explore local watersheds from various perspectives
- Wild World of Alberta - Grades 5, 7 & 8 - create an ecotourism for Alberta's wildlife and natural environments
- Gift of Nature - Grade 7 - grow indoor plants and survey their impact on people and their environment
- Local Indigenous Plant Garden - Grade 5 to 9 - discover the world of plants through the development of a local indigenous garden
- It's Electrifying - Grade 5 - develop a game that uses electricity to help learn about wetland ecosystems
- You've been Treed - Grade 6 - develop a game that uses electricity to learn about trees and forests
- Understanding Energy: My Community in 25 years - Grades 5 to 9 - create a community energy plan for 25 years in the future
Curriculum for a Sustainable Future
We created the Curriculum for a Sustainable Future with an Education Task Force to guide curriculum development for increasing environmental, energy and climate change literacy. This can be used to help you identify ways to enhance your current curriculum to deepen environmental, energy and climate change literacy.