Environmental Educator Vacancy
Application deadline: Wednesday 22 June 2022
The Biosphere Institute of the Bow Valley seeks to employ an Environmental Educator to help us deliver on the work described below. This will be a full-time salaried position with benefits. We are an incorporated Alberta society with federal charitable status, with the mission of empowering community leadership to address environmental challenges. Our team of five works out of our office in Canmore, Alberta.
The Environmental Educator will deliver on our Future Leaders program, a critically important dimension of our work which seeks to increase the environmental literacy of K-12 students living in or visiting the Bow Valley. The educator will work with the Biosphere team and local teachers to co-create, design and deliver classroom programs and teacher professional development workshops, convene and engage high school students leaders, and connect community educators to classrooms. Interested candidates can learn more about us and our education program in our strategic plan.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
- Experience and knowledge of environmental education, environmental stewardship, and community engagement.
- Experience in managing complex workloads and projects, able to multitask, problem-solve, prioritize, delegate, and to create systems and processes
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills; able to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Outward-facing, community-minded focus in all tasks and activities
- Experience in sustaining professional relationships with external stakeholders
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google Drive; willingness to learn new applications and identify innovative ways for technology to support educational objectives
- Familiarity with creating social media content
- Driver’s license and undergraduate degree
Legally able to work in Canada
Past experience in proposal writing, and a teaching certificate, will assist you in obtaining this position. Interested candidates should note that the majority of program delivery will take place in the Bow Valley; residency in the Bow Valley is not essential, but strongly encouraged.
Salary range for this position is $58,000 – $65,000 plus full benefits, commensurate with experience. In your cover letter, please be specific in how your abilities and work experience qualify you for this position.
Applications must be sent by e-mail attachment, and their receipt will be acknowledged: please send your cover letter, resume, and work references as a single pdf to our Executive Director Gareth Thomson (Gareth@biosphereinstitute.org) with ‘Application for Educator position’ in the subject line of the e-mail message by end of day on Wednesday 22 June. We’ll hold interviews during 28-30 June and 4-8 July, with a preferred starting date in early August.