Facilities & Operations Support
High priority recommendations on facilities & operations for Alberta school boards
Examples of the recommendations in action
Lawrence Grassi - First Canadian Net Zero Certified School (pictured right)
Utah's Shadow Valley School - Green Ribbon Schools
- Policy Resolution Template to make school boards 100% renewable by 2050
- Primer - Greening School Infrastructure and Student Learning - we created this primer to help school boards explore opportunities and ideas for their own school board
- Alberta Funding Guide outlines opportunities for climate adaptation and mitigation funding from the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre
- Green Energy Futures highlights a variety of green energy innovations relevant to classrooms, schools, and school districts.
- The Alberta Energy Efficiency Alliance offers a variety of relevant services, including a list of organizations who can provide energy audits for school boards.
Financial support for green infrastructure
Solar for Schools Program is a program provided by the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre that provides rebates to Alberta Public School Boards who install photovoltaic systems (PV) on their school. The Government of Alberta is investing $15 million into this program. Read the news release here.
Energy Performance Contracts are made possible through Alberta's Capital Borrowing Regulation under the school act (considered a 'best practice' nationally). They transfer the risk of borrowing for major energy efficiency retrofits from the school board to the contractor. Click here for more information by the Energy Services Association of Canada.
The Clean Energy Improvement Program (more commonly known as PACE) is a way to finance energy efficiency upgrades or renewable energy projects through property taxes. Note: This program is still in the development stage.