Alberta Green Schools with
Thank you to our sponsor:
Working with FMPSD's Green Scene Team...
Green Scene Team Web Page - http://fmpsdschools.ca/Green%20District.php
Green Scene Team Newsletter - October 2017
Twitter - @GreenSceneFMPSD
Some of the school environmental and energy initiatives....
|Fort McMurray Composite||Starting an environment club - we are working on installing water bottle refilling stations - looking at adding a greenhouse, continuing our recycling - first year we've had junior high classes at the school.|
|Walter and Gladys Hill||We have a tower garden and grown kale and made kale chips, grades 4s lead our recycling, with Destination Conservation we're working on water conservation, did turn off the lights last year, building a bug hotel in our outdoor classroom.|
|Timberlea||Working with the grades 4s that lead recycling and grade 6s are leading Destination Conservation water conservation.|
|Westwood Community HS||Building geocache boxes to put on the trails and we'll have a set of trackers that the community can use; building bee houses, participated in Navig8, using waste plastic to create 3D filament, participating in youth climate leadership initiative.|
|École McTavish||We have more teachers involved, we worked with the RMWB Green Team, we have a living wall, working with the recovery committee (students presented at the reclamation evening) and doing some soil testing and water testing, we are promoting reusable water bottles. Now have solar panels on the school roof.|
|École Dickinsfield||Many school-wide initiatives - school garden, worm composting, light leaders, audits with adults, water bottle refilling stations, Destination Conservation water conservation, anti-idling and waste free lunches.|
|Fort McMurray Islamic School||Grade 8 class did an extensive wetland education inquiry unit engaging with many external groups and field trips (e.g. participating in a fish release).|
|Other Schools||Fort McMurray Christian, Beacon Hill, and Christina Gordon Public participated in the sessions to explore resources and work with colleagues to begin developing plans for their schools.|
At the January 19, 2018 session, the Green Scene continued to work on plans for enhancing the environmental sustainability within the school division. We also explored ways of further embedding this work into curriculum based student learning.
- FMPSD teachers can access resources in Google Drive (contact Erin Keca or Kitty Cochrane)
- FMPSD schools can apply for a small grant from the Green Scene team for water bottle refilling stations
- Green Scene will continue to do the environmental science fair awards and field trip - exploring new ideas for field trips.
- Green Scene team explored other school board initiatives and are looking into a few ideas to further deepen the district's environmental sustainability initiatives
Thanks to the community resource folks for sharing their expertise and programs.
- Destination Conservation - Solange Maher and Amy
- Inside Education - Laura Pekkola
- Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo - Kari Campbell
- Oil Sand Discovery Centre - Taryn Dewar
- Shell Canada - Canadian Energy Diet Challenge - Margaret Ziolecki
- ConocoPhillips Canada - School Environmental Quest Grant
Our Green Scene can continue to grow and improve its encouragement of environmental education and practices. It helps us move from individual efforts to collaborative efforts, occasional instruction to instruction embedded in all subjects.
I think as a teacher, initiatives like this is grassrooted and usually happens on our own time. It was great to have someone passionate with a handful of great resources to share.