High priority recommendations on governance for Alberta school boards
Examples of the recommendations in action
Fort McMurray Public Schools - Green Scene
Seattle Public Schools - School Board Resolution
Edmonton Public School Board - Environment Policy
Vancouver Public Schools - Environmental Sustainability Plan
Burnaby School Board - Engaging with students, staff, families and partners to develop We Mean Green: Our First Sustainability Plan
Richmond School District - District Sustainability and Climate Action Plan (DSCAP) 2021-2026
- Policy Resolution Template to implement environmental committees in all schools
- Responding to Climate Change Education : A Primer for K-12 Education - outlines how Ministries of Education, School Divisions, and Schools can help inform and empower climate action from the Sustainability and Education Policy Network
- In 2016, the Alberta School Boards Association passed a resolution in support of sustainable development and environmental education. Click here to find out more.
- The Pope’s Encyclical, Laudato Si - available also as a simple summary that speaks in support of this work.
- Also from the Sustainability and Education Policy Network, housed at the University of Saskatchewan, is an inventory of over 300 Canadian school boards' policies, including over 30 Alberta school boards! You can view and download these policies in column V in their excel-like online database
- Acting Today, Shaping Tomorrow: A Policy Framework for Environmental Education in Ontario Schools provides guidance to school boards and schools on how they can develop or revise an environmental education policy, teach environmental literacy and enhance the development of more environmentally responsible practices.
- Complete listing of high priority policy recommendations and examples in all four categories.