The Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory (LSLBO) are looking for a creative individual to deliver fun, interactive and hands-on environmental education programming about birds and the boreal forest for audiences of all ages. This summer interpreter will also deliver spring fieldtrip programs for our education partner; the Lesser Slave Forest Education Society. Working as member of our team, you will be responsible for delivery of exciting and informative programs for a wide ranging audience including families, school groups, tourists and seniors. This position will also help deliver visitor information services and retail operations at the Boreal Centre for Bird Conservation. Other duties may include: conducting tours of the Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory Banding Lab; helping organize and promote special events, and assisting with Park summer interpretive programs.
The Boreal Centre for Bird Conservation is an exciting education and research facility located in Lesser Slave Lake Provincial Park. It is located approximately 15 minute drive north of Slave Lake AB. On-site rental accommodation may be available for seasonal staff at $295/month. Note: More information on our programs can be found at www.lslbo.org, www.lsfes.org, and www.borealbirdcentre.ca
Job Type: Full-time Summer Position
Term: May 1st to August 31st, 2019 (tentatively)
Wage: $18-20 per hour depending on experience
Deadline for applications is February 11, 2019
- Minimum of 2 year of post-secondary education in natural sciences or education.
- Experience working with children, especially in an outdoor setting
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle. Travel is required.
- Standard First Aid and CPR Certificate prior to commencement
- Criminal Record Check (Including a vulnerable sector check) will be required prior to commencement.
- Able to work some evenings and most weekends during peak summer period.
- Knowledge of boreal forest ecology including birds and bird identification
- Volunteer experience
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent presentation skills
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to:Lesser Slave Lake Bird ObservatoryBox 1076,Slave Lake, AB T0G 2A0Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: 780-849-8239