Supporting Pre-Service Teachers
Our desired outcome for this initiative is that pre-service teachers integrate environmental education into their teaching throughout their teaching careers.
ACEE is able to provide support for pre-service environmental education - check out some of our workshop offerings. You can contact Kathy at kathy[at]abcee.org
What you can do as a pre-service instructor or student:
- Download and read Advancing Pre-Service Environmental Education in Alberta: A Discussion Paper. We wrote this to help you consider the rationale for enhancing environmental education in pre-service education and learn about best practices in other jurisdictions.
- Download and read DEEPER: Deepening Environmental Education in Pre-Service Teaching - a resource guide for formulating a new vision for pre-service environmental education in Ontario - applicable for other regions as well.
- Download and read two excellent resources on this topic. The North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) has used its cyclic process of peer review and critique to create two relevant consensus documents:
- Standards for the Initial Preparation of Environmental Educators was accepted by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education in 2007, which accredits over 60% of U.S. teaching colleges.
- The NAAEE also suggests Guidelines for the Preparation and Professional Development of Environmental Educators, which are relevant to teacher preparation programs in Canada.
In 2012, ACEE held a dialogues with Faculty of Education staff at the University of Calgary and Mount Royal University - Advancing Environmental Education and Education for Sustainability: A Dialogue About Teacher Pre-Service Education.
- Proceedings and relevant documents from University of Calgary dialogue - January 27, 2012
- Proceedings and relevant documents from Mount Royal University dialogue - February 17, 2012.
Thank you to Cenovus Energy for their support of these two events