The Alberta Youth Leaders for Environmental Education created this climate policy resolution template with support from Schools for Climate Action. Use the template to pass a resolution with your environmental class or club, or student council using the instructions below.
View the Template
Instructions for Using the Policy Template
- Download the template here.
Review the template as a team which could be a school club, student council, and/or class with a teacher. Make a copy of it and change it to fit with your school community and local area, making it a message that you understand and are comfortable with. Discuss the changes as a group and ensure that everyone has a chance to contribute
Pass and sign the resolution. Hold a vote with your whole team to pass it. Have all members sign the document (we recommend only signing your initials or first name if you are under 18) and date it. Have a chosen representative(s) sign the document with their contact email. Share a copy of your resolution, and if you’re comfortable with it, a photo with AYLEE by filling out this form.
Action: Create an action plan to use your policy resolution. Include who you will share it with and how, and how you will ensure that your actions will uphold your resolutions.
Follow up: Continue to check in as a team with your progress on the resolution. Share updates with AYLEE and other schools who are passing resolutions.
Note: If at any time of using the instructions for the policy template you have any questions or concerns regarding the steps, please feel free to contact AYLEE through our Youth Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review: An estimate of a two weeks upon introduction of the policy template as a group, based on a group this time can be lengthened or shortened.
- Pass and Sign: Set a date and time to hold a vote one week after the time of review.
- Action: One to two weeks to finalize the action steps, however this is an ongoing process and does not need to be finalized.
- Follow up: Throughout the use of the template, we encourage actively participating and keeping the resolution accountable through checking in with AYLEE and other schools. This is all dependent on your group's progress and capacity.
In all, a timeline for using a policy template is flexible, but we believe it is helpful and important to have a timeline or a goal set by your group that you can work towards and change if need be.