The successful candidates will deliver Relay Education’s renewable energy education programs. Working primarily with students from grades 4-12, the facilitator will lead workshops that use hands-on models of renewable energy technology, such as wind turbines and solar panels, to educate students about science curriculum-linked topics, such as electricity, energy resources & conservation, and career building.
The Facilitator may also occasionally deliver programs at community events, such as fairs and festivals.
Duration: 12-month contract with opportunity for renewal
Status: variable hours as required: from 5 to 25 per week, up to an estimate of 500 per year.
Work hour requirements: A flexible schedule is necessary with most hours ranging between 7 AM-5 PM, Monday to Friday. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
Additional requirements: Access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license are required.
About Relay Education
Relay Education is an innovative charity that educates, assists and engages individuals and communities about renewable energy and energy conservation through diverse learning programs.
We deliver renewable energy education programs in classrooms and at community events across Canada – creating change for a brighter future and fostering our future leaders. We directly engage more than 10,000 people each year.
We are seeking highly motivated, committed, and creative individuals to join our team as we head into the next school year.
For more information about Relay Education, please visit our website: https://www.relayeducation.com/
Duties and Responsibilities
The Workshop Facilitator will report directly to our Western Canada Manager (based in Calgary). This individual will be responsible for the delivery of our school and educational programs. The successful candidate will:
- Deliver workshops in schools. This includes preparing for workshops in advance, travelling to workshop locations in Grande Prairie and surrounding rural regions and setting up all required supplies and equipment;
- Represent Relay Education at outreach /community festival events throughout the year to facilitate activities;
- Ensure education equipment is adequately stocked and maintained when new supplies and replacements are required;
- Take classroom photos to assist with social media marketing of programs within the region;
- Work with Relay staff to market workshops to schools and organizations
- Communicate with teachers or event organizers to coordinate logistical arrangements;
- Administer program evaluation by communicating with teachers and other participants to complete surveys following workshops
- Experience in teaching and/or facilitating activities in a formal setting for school-aged children
- Degrees in Education, Science, Engineering or Environmental Studies are preferred
- Knowledge of (or a willingness to learn about) resolving issues that affect the environment specifically climate change in the context of energy conservation and renewable energy;
- Demonstrated communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to interact positively with various audiences;
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills;
- Ability to take initiative and be held accountable for decisions;
- Sense of humour and team-oriented work ethic;
- Adept at using Microsoft software and AV equipment
- Ability to lift 20-50 pounds easily and frequently;
- Ability to take initiative and be accountable for decisions;
- Reliable access to a vehicle is mandatory
- Valid G2 Driver’s License is required
- Vulnerable Sector Screening clearance necessary for hire.
How to Apply
Please provide an updated resume and cover letter to:
1. Use your full name as the file name
2. Compile the cover letter & resume in a single PDF attachment
3. Include “Grande Prairie Workshop Facilitator” in the email subject line.
(Failure to follow these instructions may result in your application not being accepted).
The cover letter should clearly address the following:
a) Why you feel you are qualified for this position,
b) How your previous experience will contribute to helping deliver a successful education program
c) Your interest in, and passion for, education, renewable energy and the environment.
We thank you for your application, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted; no phone calls, please.