Environmental Education Professional Development (PD) Opportunities for Teachers in Alberta
- Teaching in a Climate Crisis: How can teachers best address the climate crisis? Two new teachers from OISE's Master of Teaching program have conversations with key players and minds to answer this question.
In the Green Chair: In each episode we sit down in the green chair with an inspiring professional working in the green economy. This podcast is great for Junior High/High School students to learn about green collar careers.
Earthy Chats: Cross-pollinating Enviro Ed Ideas: Join us for wide-ranging chats with environmental educators about best practices, changing trends, and new insights about the outdoor and environmental learning field.
Talking with Green Teachers: A podcast featuring discussions with environmental educators from around the globe.
Upcoming Professional Development for Teachers in Alberta 2021-2022 (Must Register)
- ACEE: Alberta-wide workshops at teachers' conventions and on-demand
- Alberta Emerald Foundation Tell your Story Program: Features tutorials, webinars, partnerships, and community building.
- Canadian Wildlife Federation: Alberta-wide Project WILD, Below Zero, and WILD About Sports. Sign up to be notified of upcoming WILD Education in your area.
- Global, Environmental, and Outdoor Education Council (GEOEC)
- Green Teacher: Online webinars on a variety of topics, including schoolyard greening, water, biodiversity, food, sustainability, & climate change.
- Alberta Regional Professional Development Consortia - most workshops are now available on-line
Year-Round PD for Teachers in Alberta (Upon Request)
Alberta Parks, Kananaskis Country: Canmore, Calgary & Area - Variety of topics, including climate change, outdoor learning, & inquiry
Alberta Parks, Fish Creek: Calgary & Area - Focused on curriculum-connected learning in nature.
Alberta Science Network: Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Lethbridge, and Medicine Hat - science workshops lead by teacher/scientist teams.
Alberta Tomorrow: Cochrane, Calgary & Area - Using Alberta Tomorrow in the classroom & curricular connections (Alberta Tomorrow is an online simulator to explore resources now and in the future). Contact Jennifer Janzen to request a workshop (year-round): firstname.lastname@example.org]
CPAWS Southern Alberta: Calgary & Area - Topics range across all teachable grades and focus on outdoor experiences, action projects, and wildlife.
The Edmonton Waste Management Centre: Edmonton & Area - The Centre can visit your school on a PD day and talk about recycling, reusing, composting, or anything waste related.
Get Outside and Play: Alberta based. Christina Pickles is an outdoor educator who provides PD to schools and workplaces. The website also contains a blog and free resources to support the call for outdoor play!
Ghost Bear Institute: Calgary & Area - Educator field trips for groups of staff or individuals. Structured based on teachers needs and include guided hikes to the Rocky Mountains.
Green Calgary: Calgary & Area - Inquiry Based Learning in Environmental Education, Digital Learning for Environmental Education, and the option to tailor workshops to teacher needs, including climate, energy, and the 3 Rs. Email email@example.com to book.
GreenLearning: Calgary & Edmonton, with online training for others - Workshops that focus on bringing GreenLearning programs into the classroom and strategies for engaging and empowering students to take positive actions.
Canmore Forest Play: Canmore & Banff - Nature-based education and forest play.
PEEL Program: Calgary & Area - Supporting teachers in climate change and energy education.
Inside Education: Alberta wide - Variety of topics, including climate change, water, and forests. Able to design a session that fits your needs as well.
Additional Adult Workshop Providers in Alberta (May Serve as Teacher PD Upon Request)
- Beaverhill Bird Observatory: Edmonton & Area - Workshops are adjusted for needs of the group and are focused on birds, research, climate change, and conservation
- Helen Schuler Nature Centre: Lethbridge & Area - Discovery Tours for groups. Topics include bird watching, geocashing, wildflowers, & sustainable building tours
- Lesser Slave Forest Education Society: Slave Lake & Area - Groups can book ecology hikes in surrounding forests
- University of Alberta Botanic Garden: Edmonton & Area - Adult education courses on gardening and horticulture
Wild North: Edmonton & Area Living with urban wildlife
Canadian Network for Environmental Education and Communication (EECOM) Conference
EECOM is Canada’s only national, bilingual, charitable network for environmental learning. EECOM works strategically and collaboratively to advance environmental learning to ensure Canadians are environmentally literate, engaged in environmental stewardship and contributing to a healthy, sustainable future. EECOM hosts an annual conference.
North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) Conference
The NAAEE advances environmental education and supports environmental educators in Canada, the United States, and Mexico. NAAEE hosts an annual conference.